Conferência 3 | Ciclo de Conferências Filosofia, Política e Tecnologia - Savvina Olga Vladimirovna
From: 2018-02-20 To:2018-02-20
Modern & Contemporary Philosophy
Philosophy & Public Space
20 de fevereiro 2018
Sala do Departamento de Filosofia (Torre B – Piso 1)
Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto
3ª conferência | 17h30
Social Impact of Reproductive technologies
Savvina Olga Vladimirovna - Faculty of Humanities and Social Science, RUDN University
Abstract: Assisted reproductive technologies have been transforming our understanding of human nature; they have made people revisit their views on the beginning of human life, family planning practice and family relations. In class we will consider the social impact of these technologies, their influence on law practice and governmental policies.
1) History and reasons of abortion legalization (the USSR, the UK, the USA and European countries). Role of prenatal therapy and prenatal diagnosis in family planning and abortion legalization.
2) Attitudes toward abortions today: moral dilemmas, social and cultural conflicts. Sex-selective abortions.
3) Transforming family: Gamete donation. Anonymous donors and "right to know". Health risks and donors' responsibility.
4) Assisted reproduction (in-vitro fertilization) and surrogate motherhood. Right to assisted fertilization, low-cost IVF. Commercial surrogacy as a reproductive tourism: dilemmas of the global market. Market mentality in family planning.
5) Reproductive cloning: the evaluation of RC as a way of childbearing.
6) Gene modified embryos. Designer babies: looking ahead.
Savvina Olga Vladimirovna (Ph.D. in Philosophy)
Associate Professor of the Department of Ethics, the Faculty of Humanities and Social Science, RUDN University.
Research interests: bioethics, social impact of reproductive technologies, Scientific Ethics, Academic Ethics, Design for Value.
Savvina O.V. has developed the courses "Bioethics" for medical students (direction "Medicine" and "Dentistry") and "Problems of Bioethics" for philosophy students of Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (RUDN University). Author of more than 50 articles in English and Russian languages; 3 learning tutorials and 1 book on social impact of assisted reproductive technologies.
She was an executive director in 2 scientific projects funded by RUND University: N 101401-0-000 "Professional Ethics: problems of bioethics" (2014), N 101402-0-000 "Professional Ethics of academic staff: modern problems" (2016).
Research Group Philosophy and Public Space
Instituto de Filosofia da Universidade do Porto - FIL/00502