International call: 1 research position for "Philosophy and Science in the late Middle Ages, its developments and the debates on atomism"
Call: Medieval Philosophy research position
Published at 19/06/2018
Medieval & Early Modern Philosophy
Reason, Politics & Society
Recruitment of one qualified researcher with a doctoral degree in Philosophy to carry out scientific research on "Philosophy and Science in the late Middle Ages, its developments and the debates on atomism", under an employment contract (6 years), in accordance with the Portuguese Labour Code.
Entire call (including other positions in non philosophical areas):
Call in Portuguese Language / edital em português (inclui vagas em áreas não filosóficas):
Applications dealine: 29 th June, 2018.
Call 8 – 6. Scientific Field: Humanities, Scientific Subfield 6.3. Philosophy, Ethics and Religion, Ref. FCT SFRH/BPD/69485/2010
2. Applicable legalisation:
Decree-Law No, 57/2016 of 29th August, amended by Law no. 57/2017 of 19th July, establishing the Regulation of Scientific Employment (Regime Jurídico do Emprego Científico - RJEC); Regulatory Law no. 11-A/2017 of 29th December; the Labour Code in the current version of Law no. 7/2009 of 12th February.
3. Under the terms of Article 18 of RJEC, the present call for tenders is exempt from: i) authorization from the Government officials in charge of the areas of Finance and Public Administration, as specified in Paragraph 3 of Article 7 of the Public Service Labour Law (Lei de Trabalho em Funções Públicas – LTFP); ii) a prior favourable opinion from the Government officials in charge of the areas of Finance and Public Administration (as specified in Paragraph 5 of Article 30 of the LTFP); and iii) the legal procedure for the recruitment of workers in the process of requalification, as specified in Article 265 of the LTFP.
4. The monthly remuneration to be paid is established in paragraph a), no. 1 of Article 15 of the RJEC, which corresponds to Level 33 of the Single Remuneration Table (2,128.34 Euros).
5. Applicants may be national, foreign and stateless persons who hold a doctoral degree in the Scientific Field specified in each Call, with a solid scientific and professional curriculum that is shown to be appropriate to the activity to be developed.
If the candidate holds a doctorate awarded by a foreign higher education institution, it must comply with the provisions established in the Decree-Law no. 341/2007. All the formalities established in the Decree-Law must be met by the deadline set to submit the application.
6. According to Article 5 of the RJEC, selection will be based on the evaluation of the candidates’ scientific and academic career.
7. The evaluation of the candidate’s scientific and academic career will focus on the relevance, quality and up-datedness of the following aspects:
a) Scientific, technological, cultural or artistic production in the last five years, considered most relevant by the candidate;
b) The applied or practice-based research activities developed in the last five years considered by the candidate as having the greatest impact;
c) Outreach and dissemination activities developed in the last five years, particularly in the context of promoting culture and scientific practices, considered most relevant by the candidate;
d) The management of science, technology and innovation programmes or experience in observing and monitoring the scientific and technological system or higher education system in Portugal or abroad.
[plus: see below "5. Special requirements for admission" to position 8]
8. At the request of the candidate, the Selection Committee may extend the period of five years referred to in the preceding paragraph, when justified on grounds of interruption of scientific activity for socially protected reasons, such as parental leave, serious or prolonged illness, or other situations of unavailability for work established by law.
9. The Selection Committee, based on the established selection criteria, will vote by roll call from which the members are not allowed to abstain.
10. Minutes of the Selection Committee meetings shall be kept and shall include a summary of all occurrences of said meetings, as well as of all votes cast by the members and respective reasoning, and shall be provided to candidates whenever required.
11. Once the selection criteria process has been concluded, the Selection Committee will elaborate a sorted list of successful candidates based on their classification.
12. Submission of applications:
12.1. Candidates must submit their applications, addressed to the President of the Selection Committee, identifying the Call they are applying to, their full name, number and date of issue of their identification card or Citizen's Card, tax identification number, date and place of birth, home and contact address, email address and telephone number.
12.2. Applications must include all supporting documents that prove the candidate fulfils the conditions set out in the requirements for each Call, namely:
a) Copy of a doctoral certificate or diploma;
b) Detailed curriculum vitae organised in accordance with the items included in paragraph 7 plus the specific evaluation criteria of each Call;
c) Brief description of the most relevant scientific activities in the last 5 years, in accordance with Article 5 of the RJEC, and paragraph 7 of this public announcement;
d) Other documents considered relevant in evaluating the candidate, namely a 3- year career development plan, whenever mentioned as a component of the evaluation criteria.
13. All candidates who submit their applications in an improper manner or fail to fulfil the requirements established in this call are excluded from admission. In case of doubt, the Selection Committee is entitled to request any candidate present further documentation to support their statements.
14. False statements provided by candidates are punishable by law.
15. Lists of admitted and excluded candidates, as well as the final ranking lists, will be published on the website of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto, www.letras.up.pt. All candidates will be notified by email with a read receipt notification.
16. Deadlines for Preliminary Hearings and the Final Selection Decision: under Article 121 of the Law on Administrative Procedures, and upon reception of the notification, candidates have 10 working days to express any reservations. Within a maximum period of 90 days, starting from the deadline for submission of applications, the Selection Committees will issue their final decisions.
17. This International Call is intended exclusively to fill the positions specified. It may be terminated before the candidates final ranking list is published and will expire when the respective positions are taken.
18. The commencement of the work contracts with the selected candidates is dependent on the signature of the framework contract between the Foundation for Science and Technology and the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto.
19. Non-discrimination and equal access policy: the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto actively promotes a non-discrimination and equal access policy. No candidate can be privileged, benefited, suffer prejudice or be deprived or exempted of any right based on ascendance, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, economic situation, education, social origin or condition, genetic heritage, reduced working capacity, disability, chronic illness, nationality, ethnic origin or race, territory of origin, language, religion, political or ideological beliefs and trade union membership.
SPECIFICATION FOR POSITION nr. 8:
1. Candidates may be national, foreign and stateless persons who hold a doctoral degree in Philosophy.
2. The aim of this Call is to perform research and other academic activities, as well as extension activities in the field of Philosophy and Science in the late Middle Ages, its developments and the debates on atomism.
3. In accordance with Article 13 of the RJEC, the Selection Committee is composed of the following members:
Chairperson: Cândida Fernanda Antunes Ribeiro, Full Professor and Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto
Daniel António Di Liscia, PHD, Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeter, Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy, Ludwig Maximilians–Universität München
José Francisco Preto Meirinhos, Full Professor, Department of Philosophy, Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto
Paula Isabel do Vale Oliveira e Silva, Assistant Professor and Scientific Coordinator of the R&D Unit Institute of Philosophy of the University of Porto
4. The place of work will be the IF – Institute of Philosophy of the University of Porto, Faculty of Arts and Humanities of the University of Porto.
5. Special requirements for admission:
a) Provide a list of relevant works in the specific field of Medieval Philosophy;
b) Submission of a Motivation Letter (maximum 500 words);
c) Presentation of a research and career development plan (maximum 1500 words) in the field identified in paragraph 2, as specified in paragraph 12.2 d) of this Call, for the duration of the contract period (renewable for up to a maximum of 6 years, with a review after the first 3 years).
6. The documental evaluation (AD) includes the following aspects and criteria:
A) Integrated assessment of the candidate’s relevant scientific production in the last five years;
A.1) Relevance and quality of the publications within the scientific field of this Call (30 points);
A.2) Knowledge of Medieval sources, textual criticism and edition of documents, verified by published works or teaching activities (10 points);
A.3) Participation in Portuguese or foreign research networks, research projects or research groups, mentioning the results achieved and the projects’ relevance (5 points);
A4) Participation in national or international scientific meetings with academic papers (5 points);
B) Evaluation of the Motivation Letter and the Research Project
B.1) Adequacy and relevance of the Motivation Letter in terms of academic career and field of study of the Call (10 points);
B.2) Relevance of the research project and its development within the thematic area of the Call, taking into account its contribution to the Institute of Philosophy’s performance, as well as the quality and articulation of the diverse aspects established in the scientific proposal (40 points);
C) The candidate ranked first and the two next best ranked candidates will be interviewed, in case they have achieve 85 percent of the score achieved by the candidate ranked first, according to paragraphs A and B(6).
The interview (EN) will focus on the following aspects (100 points):
C.1) Academic career, teamwork participation and research projects developed;
C.2) Articulation and relevant aspects of the research plan;
C.3) Relevant contribution of the applicant to the established field of research.
7. The final classification (CF) is determined by the following formula: CF= A1 + A2 + A3 + A4+ B1 + B2
The final classification of the candidates admitted to the interview is determined by the following formula: CF= (A1 + A2 + A3 + A4+ B1 + B2) *0.9 + EN*0.1
8. The classification system and the final result achieved by the candidates is presented on a scale from 0 to 100.
9. The Scientific Board approved this Call in the meeting held on 18 /04/2018.