Principal investigator: Sofia Miguens
This project took place as part of the research agenda of MLAG (Mind, Language and Action Group of the Institute of Philosophy of University of Porto) in collaboration with Centro de Ética e Filosofia da Mente (UFRJ – Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro). The editors are Sofia Miguens (Universidade do Porto), Miguel Amen (Universidade do Porto) Maria Clara Dias (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro) and João Alberto Pinto (Universidade do Porto).
(This project is being finished in 2019 with two new editors joining the team: Diana Couto and Manuela Teles. It will be published by Porto University Press in september 2019)
The contents selected for translation were the following:
- Raymond M. Smullyan, An Unfortunate Dualist.
- Hilary Putnam, Brains and Behavior
- U.T. Place, Is Consciousness a Brain Process?
- Hilary Putnam, The Nature of Mental States.
- Ned Block, Troubles with Functionalism (excerpt).
- Donald Davidson, Mental Events.
- Donald Davidson, Material Mind
- Jerry A. Fodor, Special Sciences.
- Jaegwon Kim, Multiple Realization and the Metaphysics of Reduction.
- Thomas Nagel, What Is It Like To Be a Bat
- Frank Jackson, Epiphenomenal Qualia.
- Saul A. Kripke, Naming and Necessity (excerpt).
- Joseph Levine, Materialism and Qualia: The Explanatory Gap.
- Paul M. Churchland, The Rediscovery of Light.
- Colin McGinn, Can We Solve the Mind-Body Problem?
- Paul M. Churchland, Eliminative Materialism and the Propositional Attitudes.
- Jerry Fodor, The Persistence of Attitudes
- Alan Turing, Computing Machinery and Intelligence.
- John Haugeland, Semantic Engines: An Introduction To Mind Design.
- John R. Searle, Minds, Brains and Programs